Classic Boat Club of Western Australia


Registered No. : 2304

Date Built: 1923

Builder: Lawrence and Sons, Barrack Street Shipyard, Perth, Western Australia

Construction cost: £2,200

Type: English River Motor Yacht

Speed: 10 Knots

Vessel Dimensions LOA: 13,12 m (40 ft) Breadth overall: 3.28 m (10 ft) Draft of Hull: 1.18 m (3.6 ft) Displacement: 15.52 tons

Vessel Details

Hull material and construction: New Zealand Kauri planking, with jarrah support framework, carvel structure

Deck material and construction: Queensland Beach and Oregon Pine deck plank.

Cabin or superstructure material and construction: Queensland Maple feature timber and Jarrah trim details, with Oregon Pine framework, with external canvas weather linings. The fore cabin has pressed copper ceiling linings.

Hull shape: monohull

Keel/centreboard/rudder type: full keel; fin keel; spade rudder

Ballast: lead ingots manufactured in Broken Hill

Deck layout: decked with cockpit

Steering mechanism: wheel with rod and spindle

Motor propulsion

Original: inboard; petrol; single installation; Scripps; 100 hp.; 6 cylinder; circa 1920

!944 - 1960: inboard; petrol; single installation; Ford Marine Engine; 100 hp.; 8 cylinder; circa 1940

Present: inboard; diesel; single installation; Perkins; 75 hp; 4 cylinder; circa 1960

Propeller: single; 4 blades

 Brief History

M.V Nokomis is a 40 foot English River Motor Yacht Western Australian built timber river launch, by Lawrence and Sons at the Barrack Street shipyards in 1923. She was commissioned by a prominent businessman, W.J. Winterbottom, who was the commodore of the Royal Perth Yacht Club, located at Barrack street. The vessel is modelled on a traditional boat design common during the late 1910 and early 1920’s. The interior design is strongly influenced by the Art Deco period.

In the late 1930’s she was sold to a prominent local Accountant, Sinclair J. McGibbon. During World War II, M.V. Nokomis was requisitioned by the Commonwealth Government, she was fitted with a deck mounted machine gun and a depth charger fitted on the aft deck and assigned permanent patrol duties in Geraldton, Western Australia.

Upon return from War duties M.V. Nokomis was sold at auction and purchased by another prominent businessman, Gordon (Gordie) Smith. Gordie in company with his brother, Roland (Pollyanna), became a notable team participating in major boating adventures and were regular visitors to Rottnest Island. M.V. Nokomis is reported to have been the survey vessel used by the brothers to navigate and open the northern bays of Rottnest Island.

Following the death of Gordie, and many years of “hard work”, M.V. Nokomis fell into disrepair and was in need of a major refurbishment. In 1991 M.V. Nokomis was offered for sale by the Smith Family estate, at which time Craig Grundmann purchased her as a recreational boat. During the next 22 years M.V Nokomis was gradually restored to present her in as near as original condition as possible. With significant structural repairs, internal linings, and fittings and fixtures being undertaken. Timber was purchased from Queensland, decorative copper sheet linings from Victoria, light fittings and bright work from England.


December 1923- : W. J. Winterbottom

February 1939 - January 1943: Sinclair. J. McGibbon Purchased for the sum of £850

23 January 1943- November 1945: Under provisions of Section 67 of the Defence Act was requisitioned by the Commonwealth of Australia (Royal Australian Navy) for patrol and general service at Ports of Fremantle and Geraldton, Western Australia. Purchased from the estate of S.J McGibbon (Deceased) for the sum of £1130

10 November 1945- July 1991: G. Smith Sold at action on 10 November 1945 for the sum of £600

July 1991 - Present: C Grundmann 

Designer Lawrence and Sons Builder Lawrence and Sons  Launched 1923, Perth  Length 12.19m, 40ft